LDS.org Home Page

Continuing Revelation

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Learn to feel and recognize the spirit

Everyday we have experiences where the spirit tries to talk to us. Learning to recognize those sweet promptings is a process. That process can be mastered only through obedience and experience. Doing the small things! Diligently seeking to have an understanding and striving to learn.

I had a friend tell me once, that I was lucky. He said it seems it just comes so easy for you. He told me how much he struggled to feel the spirit. I told him that I was not lucky at all. I told him how I  found it hard to listen for those precious moments. I told him that I had to put to the test the remarks of the prophets and Christ. I had to fight for my testimony.

Today we have to actively do things that will guide us to receive a testimony. No longer can anyone ride the coat tails of another. We can not sit and wait for it to just fall into our laps we must go out and get it. Satan is working around the clock to ensure us his. Why then should we not be diligent in obtaining our own relationship with our Father.

There are times when I can not deny the spirit. He beats me over the head til I do get it. But lately, I have found that when I start my scripture study off with a prayer; I am able to hear and tune in loud and clear.
I have found that when I am diligently seeking for an answer; when I am reading, praying, and trying my hardest to do what is right, that is when I learn the most.

I have learned to pray that I will recognize the prompting of the spirit. I start out my day asking that I will be able to recognize the tender mercies that are all around me. How great it is, to know that if we will ask in faith we can be answered.

No comments: