LDS.org Home Page

Continuing Revelation

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Power of Scripture

I once herd a story of a man who was seeking great treasure. He searched high he searched low but never could find enough to satisfy his needs. He gave up every earthly possession that had any value. He wanted to find the treasure that would bring him fantastic wealth, happiness beyond measure and with them love that was unquenchable. He would travel on a whim to find that diamond in the rough. When he got to the place. The picture was the same. There was something rare and worth much money. He could buy momentary pleasure but not what he really needed. So he would set off on his journey with his few possessions to find that treasure. He carried a change of clothes a Bible and a pad of paper. Little did he know that he carried the greatest treasure known to mankind. The word of God!

The scriptures have within their pages the power to change lives. I remember as a youth reading with my Dad. We did not read everyday but when we did he brought the pages to life. He wanted to share with us the lessons he learned. My parents instilled in me at a young age to love the stories of Jesus. There was a book that my Brother and I loved called Bible Stories. I was about 250 pages long but we loved the stories of Christ. We loved the pictures that told that story.

Today I liken the words unto me. I love the messages of hope inspiration and the invitation to come unto Christ. That is what the scriptures do they teach lessons that I would get in no other place. they teach the way to eternal happiness, to the greatest treasure known to man. They lead the sinner to change and become like Jesus.

I feel very blessed to be close to by Father as I read. The scriptures literally help us come to know the voice of the Father. We come to recognize his will for us. We find the eternal rewards for following that voice.

A seminary teacher once told me to be on R.E.D. A.L.E.R.T. : Read Every Day And Learn Every Rightous Thing.

No comments: